Monday, October 8, 2007

Myers Briggs

In High School I took a personality test and it told me that I was an ENTP. There, however, was a problem with the way that I took the test. I felt, in my infinite wisdom, that introverts had no friends. That did not seem to fit the role that I had defined for myself as a freshman, so I looked at the questions, figured out what the metrics were and how my answers fit me into a profile and manipulated the results to fit how I saw myself.

Up until about a year ago I would have classified myself as an extrovert. That was a miscalculation of epic proportions. I am, without a doubt, an introvert and proud of it. Kimmy has taught me that. So, with my new self realization I decided to take a Myers Briggs test again and this time answer based on my actual tendencies as opposed to how I perceive myself or how I think I should act.

I am, and I can say this with confidence, an INTP. After doing some research I have found that the following quotes taken from http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html fit me fairly well:

- see everything in terms of how it could be improved, or what it could be turned into.
- live in the world of theoretical possibilities.
- do not like to lead or control people.
- shy when it comes to meeting new people.
- very self-confident and gregarious around people they know well, or when discussing theories which they fully understand.
- their well thought-out understanding of an idea may not be easily understandable by others, but they are not naturally likely to tailor the truth so as to explain it in an understandable way to others.
- exhibit weakness in performing maintenance-type tasks, such as bill-paying and dressing appropriately.
- intensely interested in theory, and will put forth tremendous amounts of time and energy into finding a solution to a problem with has piqued their interest.
- may have a problem with self-aggrandizement and social rebellion (see the humbility article)
- very tolerant and flexible in most situations, unless one of their firmly held beliefs has been violated or challenged.
- if they do not realize the value of attending to other people's feelings, they may become overly critical and sarcastic with others.
- at their best when they can work on their theories independently

I was born like this. Any of the traits that do not apply to me can be attributed to, in this order, God, Kimmy, my family, my friends, baseball, and pharmacotherapy. The combination of all 6 has made me the man I am today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do realize that the Myers Briggs is based on a psychological theory that presumes that you can change your base personality type. That means if you decided you wanted to be a ESTJ rather than INTP, you can simply choose to start acting that way, and in a while you will start to identify yourself that way, and a while after that, you will be that way.

So if you get tired of INTP, take the test again and be something else. I've taken it about 8 times, and been something different just about every time.

Anonymous said...

I do agree on the ability of a person to change their personality, however, I live on the nature side of the nature vs nurture argument so I think that there are limits to the ability of a person to alter their core personality. Taking the test over and over, if I am honest with myself, I would always come up with INTP. Myers Briggs is helpful to me in realizing some of my potential weaknesses, which are actually outlined in the synopsis. To that end, I believe that I have gotten value from my time spent.